I have a few questions that have been bothering me. My goal is to finally find answers and write a summary of what I discovered. If someone has already done the work, then I won’t have to and can report the web site with the magic answer. Some of these are new concerns, but many go back quite a few years. They fall under the “I wonder why…” category.
They have surfaced because, Hender, the young male protagonist in HALF BRAIN has many of his own questions along the same lines. These though are all mine:
1. I wonder why… With technology coming so far in the past 20 years, isn’t there a way to make stoplights more efficient? I drive a main thoroughfare several times a week and out of 15 lights I end up stopping at least 10 of them. More often than not I’m stopping for no reason since there is no cross traffic. There must be a way to synchronize… maybe there’s an app for that.
2. Speaking of apps… Walmart has a new Scan and Go app where you basically scan your items with your phone as you shop. When you get to the register you point your smartphone at the scanner screen and pay. Sounds good, but the two times I tried using it I was chosen for a security check. This added a minimum of 10 minutes to my checkout process making this more a Scan and Stop app. I can see since you bag your items as you shop, this would be a shoplifters dream, but the last thing I want to do is rip off the store. I wonder why they start a program without thoroughly testing it out or training their employees?
3. I wonder why gas is so expensive when oil company profits are at a record breaking pace? Yeah, I know, research…
4. I wonder why 80% of all weather gals on weekend and daytime channels have blond hair with black roots? Seems to be a requirement.
5. I wonder why I get 180 channels and only use 12 of them? Could we come up with a pick and choose plan?
6. I wonder why a quart of paint costs $6.99 and a gallon (4 times the amount) is $14.99?
7. Air use to be free. I wonder why I have to pay $1 for five brief seconds of air to fill one tire?
There’s plenty more rattling around in my head, but this should keep me busy. Happy 4th!