I’m coming to the finish line of this three day retreat. Well fed with both food and ideas to keep me going. Here are 10 thoughts if you have a Query in your writing future. They come from the panel of agents from the Andrea Brown Literary Agency:
- Really good manuscripts never get read when you present a bad query.
- Make us care about your story.
- Don’t include editorial comments.
- Put genre first so we know what we’re dealing with.
- No reason to submit exclusively unless an agent has specifically requested you to do so.
- Follow-ups are okay after 6-8 weeks.
- Do mention if there is series potential or if it is the first book of a trilogy.
- If it is a humorous story, it is fine to reflect humor in the query – just not from the character’s viewpoint.
- We need more queries telling us about stories with science and technology!
And finally #10… Don’t query unless your work is in absolutely top notch form. But also don’t wait forever.
Have a great Memorial Day holiday!