Four kids. One ride. And an adventure that will have you flipping the pages.
Told in third person, we get to know Trevor, Cameron, Devin, and Nika as they embark on this unique ride. Each of these kids has an unusual ability. They’ll not only need these abilities but also each other when they discover this ride is even more intriguing than advertised—possibly life threatening.
The story line keeps you guessing as to just who is the antagonist in this thrilling adventure. One of the kids? Their parents? The creators of the ride? Perfect as a read-aloud the adventure and humor is a super combination to hook any middle grade reader.
PUBLICATION DATE: 2017 PAGE COUNT: 322
FULL PLOT (From AMAZON) CastleCorp and the famous Castleton brothers are unveiling the World’s Greatest Adventure Machine! The roller coaster is an experience like no other, and four lucky kids have won the chance to be the first to ride it.
There’s Trevor, whose latest stunt got him in trouble at school again. There’s Devin, whose father is pushing him to be the next Internet sensation. Nika’s wealthy grandfather isn’t too pleased about her participation. And Cameron, he’ll be the first to tell you, is a certified genius.
The whole world is watching. But as the kids set off on their journey, they begin to realize that there is perhaps more to their fellow contest winners than meets the eye. And the Adventure Machine? It might just have a mind of its own.
Join the contestants on their wild ride if you dare. Your adventure starts now!
FIVE THINGS TO LIKE ABOUT: THE WORLD’S GREATEST ADVENTURE MACHINE by Frank L. Cole
- Each child has a unique view of the world based on their ability—or handicap as some of them believe. It’s through the understanding of each other that makes them stronger.
- It’s all left up to the kids to figure out this ride and the reasons for it… just like it should be in MG books.
- This story continues the trend of longer MG books, but the mystery keeps you going right to the end.
- Each rider had to wear suits and helmets to take part in the attraction. I never guessed why until is was revealed. Great part of the plot.
- The title and cover won me over and I’m sure many more will be picking it up based just on that. Thankfully, the story lives up to the promotion.
“You hit me.” Cameron caressed his cheek where a light pink handprint had started to form.
“I slapped you,” Nika corrected.
“What’s the difference?”
“Where I come from, when someone starts to act out of control and unreasonable, we slap them.”
“Well, where I come from when someone acts the way I did we just give them their pills.”
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
FRANK L. COLE lives with his wife and three children out west. When not writing books, Frank enjoys going to the movies and traveling, as well as managing Deseret Books. The World’s Greatest Adventure Machine is Frank’s ninth published book and his second with Delacorte Press. His first was The Afterlife Academy. You can learn more about his writing at frankcolewrites.com or find @franklcole on Twitter.
Make a comment if you have time. I enjoy reading all of them. Click on the comments link below.
Check the links to other Middle Grade novels over at Shannon Messenger’s Marvelous Middle Grade Monday post.