The Mystery & Mayhem series got off to a great start last year with PIRATES and SHIPWRECKS along with SURVIVAL. Next came DARING HEISTS and WEIRD DISAPPEARANCES .
This summer brings a new title as the excitement and adventure continues with GREAT ESCAPES. Five true stories of people trying to get themselves out of a bad situation. You may have heard about some of these daring escapes but what you may not know is the fascinating story leading up to each event.
- William and Ellen Craft flee slavery via a disguise and a little luck.
- Douglass Mawson is trapped in the Antarctic and he’ll use every last ounce of strength to get out before it becomes his personal burial ground.
- Eleven-year-old Simon Granowski jumps from a train heading to the Auschwitz death camp, leaving him alone and running to safety.
- Three inmates flee Alcatraz never to be seen again. A fourth doesn’t make it out and reveals the story of how the others escaped.
- Twenty-nine Germans escape the grips of East Germany via an underground tunnel under the Berlin Wall in a thrilling story of determination.
A historical timeline precedes each story giving readers a window to the times. You also get just enough background for each situation to fill up your history knowledge even more. A glossary and extended resources are also included to extend and enrich your learning.
Perfect for social studies and history classes studying one of these events or to learn on your own. One thing for sure—you won’t want to escape from reading about these thrilling getaways. Fascinating stories for all—including those of us well past the middle grade age.
Next Friday, I’ll feature the sixth book in the series, REBELS AND REVOLUTIONS.
Cool! The whole series sounds great- especially this one. My son and daughter would like these for sure.
This sounds great. I am going to try to get my hands on a copy. Thanks for telling me about it.
The title didn’t grab me, but once I read your review I was really impressed with the stories. Will look this one up. Thanks.