This Book Is Cute! The Soft and Squishy Science and Culture of “Aww” by Sarah Wassner Flynn Ever wonder why some creatures just make you want to cuddle them? Those adorable big eyes. Those floppy ears! And that soft velvety fur. Welcome to the soft and squishy science of cute! This book delves into what actually makes something “cute,” what happens inside our brains when we see something cute, and why we’re biologically hardwired that way. Flynn explains the psychology and physiology behind our responses and answers questions like: What influence does our culture or environment have on our conceptions of cute? Also explored are why some brands, products, and characters have been such sensational hits through the ages and an up-close look at the crazes of today, from the indisputably cutest animals ever to Internet sensations. Let the squealing commence!
MY TAKE: You will definitely smile at the many cute images presented. I even had a good giggle at a few of them (The Red-Eyed Tree Frog got to me first). Arranged in seven chapters, the accompanied text has you thinking about “cute” in a whole different way. Here’s a preview:
- OH, BABY! What’s going on in our brain that triggers an aww feeling when you see a baby.
- AWESOME ANIMALS Take a look at our most precious animals and what makes them that way.
- CUTE AROUND THE WORLD See how the power of cute spans the globe!
- SO CUTE (YOU CAN EAT IT!) Irresistible food made to look cute.
- THE BUSINESS OF CUTE Cute sells. Learn how businesses are cashing in.
- EVERYDAY ADORABLE How does cute play a role in our day to day lives?
- ADORABLE IN ACTION Cute on the go from planes to sports.
This kind of book is perfect for travel. The soft cover makes a good traveling companion for the backseat of the car or in the carry-on at the airport. You’ll find yourself thumbing through the pages more than once. First to read the text and several times again to enjoy the pictures.
Added bonuses include an interview with a family photographer as to how she captures cute photos; a how to draw cute animals exercise; and a short quiz to test your Cute IQ.
If you buy this for your children, be sure to look at it before you give it to them. Otherwise, it will be hard to get it out of their hands!
Coming up this Monday is another edition of…